Monday, August 31, 2009

Need to Overcome Serious Food Cravings?

I certainly do. I have proven in the past 7 months to myself that there is definitely a deep connection between the mind and body and what we eat and how we feel. This slight struggle is interesting to me because the 1st year raw I absolutely coasted - I ate entirely raw without giving it much thought. And then came the stress, unexpected emotions, and life changes... and one not-so-good food choice in February has cascaded into a pool of more, and of course with that, the emotions (the 'I know better' feelings) that come with it - at least for me. I know when I feel my best.

Eating raw has for the most part been pretty effortless in these past 2 years (w/ the exceptions I'm referring to) and I give the credit to Superfoods because they've been the foundation of my diet. Yet, when I am tempted by something, or have a craving (in times of comfort), AND GIVE IN, I must say I feel like crap for days.. and this, if not halted with full force, can lead into over-eating (even raw food) and produce feelings of guilt and heaviness (mentally and literally). For me, these choices have repercussions much worse than the actual physical ramifications (although I have to admit that I ONLY gain weight when I don't eat 100% raw, and very easily). I have much less clarity (re: life, decisions, daily living), energy (way more of a dragging feeling and sluggishness), and an attitude that could use some improvement.

Is this how the mainstream lives every day? Ugh... I can hardly stand it for a day.

My answer has been to do more green Superfoods powders (you already know if you read my blog regularly that I'm obsessed with Vitamineral Green and ReVitaPhi) to eliminate nutrient deficiencies that result in cravings (greens = alkalize the body). But sometimes, intense times have a way of pushing your good intentions aside and we consume food that we may not otherwise. I'm guilty and am taking on a personal challenge to see what I can do about it. I'm done with this feeling! I want to be back to effortless raw, easy choices, and not swayed for any reason because life gets in the way. Can anyone relate to this?!

As I write this I'm wondering what I should commit to in terms of a personal cleansing challenge. It's obvious to me that I need to do a cleanse - I've actually been craving a juice cleanse (in between mac n' cheese cravings) all summer but I've been happily eating so much raw chocolate that I couldn't imagine my world without it. I know my problems are tough, but a few days (or a week or two?!) without cacao? Sigh. What could be worse? Well, for me the cheese and mac n' cheese cravings are and I have to get rid of them. Now. Well, tomorrow to be exact...

I think what I'll do is have half my usual cacao Superfood (I put double the green powder in it than cacao powder) blendie in the morning (I'll do 16 oz or something) and green vegetable juice and/or smoothie the whole day until I have a small Superfood salad (half my usual) for dinner. But... is that really a 'cleanse'? For me, no. Hmmm. Why am I so hesitant? Because of plans I have, this is what I'll do this week, and beginning next Sunday I'm cutting out the blendies and salads and doing only green juices and green smoothies. Oh my, I have to click 'publish post' NOW before I change my mind.

2 comments:

  1. I totally relate with feeling guilty after you eat something, either it be raw or not, that you shouldn't. The mind is an amazing thing and can totally change how you feel, which is why it is important to eat guilt free. I struggle with this too and I eat majority raw. I just did a cleanse with my twin sister, check it out www.pure2raw.com. There are all types of cleanses, find what works for you, and be happy with it. No pressure! Good luck! I love raw cacao too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle - thanks for commenting! It's not so much that I feel guilty - in fact I eat entirely guilt-free, but I was really referring to specific food choices I've made in the past several months that don't suit me & no longer have a place in my life. It was a snowball effect, because when I eat all raw, I have zero cravings and no desire for undesirable choices - but, when I have given in to the past cheese obsession is when it triggers future choices that are less than ideal.

    I'm starting a liquid cleanse tomorrow & will be bloggin' about it.

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete